What is the procedure to get a study permit? How can I study in Canada?

The initial step is to get admission to a Canadian school that is designated by the Government of Canada. Only recognized institutions can be used to support a study permit application. Once you have a letter of acceptance, you can apply for a study permit. Applications can be made:

  • At the foreign Canadian Visa Office responsible for their country or region.
  • At a Canadian Port of Entry (For permanent residents or citizens of USA, Saint-Pierre et Miquelon and Greenland only).

All new study permits are issued at a Canadian port of entry. A candidate who has submitted an application to a foreign Canadian Visa Office will be issued a letter of approval advising him/her to travel to a Canadian port of entry to have the study permit issued in his/her passport. The study permit will be issued for the duration of the person's studies.

Applicants who are citizens or permanent residents of USA, Saint-Pierre et Miquelon and Greenland may apply directly at a Canadian port of entry without having to submit an application to a visa office.

Applicants from countries requiring a Temporary Residence Visa (TRV) must submit their passports along with their study permit application to a Canadian Visa Office abroad. A TRV will be issued in the passport to allow such applicants to travel to Canada to have their study permits issued at a Canadian port of entry.

When can I start preparing my application?

Before you start packing, ensure that you are accepted to one of the recognized universities/schools in Canada, and only then you can apply for a Canadian student visa.

Is IELTS or TOEFL mandatory to submit a study permit application?

No. It's not mandatory to provide proof of your English ability for a study permit application. You may, however, need to submit proof of language ability in order to gain acceptance to a Canadian school.

Why would my study permit be refused?

When assessing study permit applications, visa officers determine whether an applicant is a bona fide student. This is established through a number of factors, including but not limited to:

  • The length of time the student plans to spend in Canada;
  • The means by which the student will support themselves while studying;
  • The student's obligations and ties to their home country;
  • The likelihood of the applicant leaving Canada after their temporary status ends; and
  • General compliance to government regulations.

An individual may be refused a study permit if the visa officer reviewing their file determines that they are not a bona fide student. Reasons for refusal can include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • The visa officer does not believe the applicant will leave Canada after their status ends. This can be determined because of lack of ties to the applicant's home country, the political/economic state of their country at the time of review, or if the applicant has overstayed previous temporary visas in any country;
  • The visa officer does not feel the applicant's acceptance to a Canadian institution is genuine;
  • The visa officer does not believe the applicant has the means to support themselves while studying in Canada

What are the documents required to submit with my Canada Study permit application?

The Canada study permit application can only be submitted after being accepted at a recognized Canadian school, university or college

Documents required for a Canada study permit application:

  • Letter of acceptance from a recognized Canadian educational institution (including the school's designated institution number)
  • Valid passport and two recent passport-sized photos for the principal applicant and their accompanying dependent family members
  • Evidence that you will be able to financially support yourself and accompanying dependents for the duration of studying in Canada. You have to establish that you have sufficient funds to cover:
    • Your tuition fees
    • Any expenses relating to living in Canada – including food, rent, transportation etc.
    • Your return back to your country of citizenship at the expiration of your Canada study permit

How can I renew my study permit while I am in Canada?

If you wish to renew your study permit, you must apply before the permit expires. If the study permit has expired, you must leave Canada. In some cases, you may be able to apply for restoration of status. However, you will not be allowed to study until your status has been restored.

Will I get permission to return home for a visit or travel outside Canada, while studying in Canada?

If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have:

  • a valid passport or travel documents
  • a valid study permit if you are returning to study in Canada
  • a valid temporary resident visa If you are a citizen of a designated country for which Canada requires a visa

if you are a citizen of a designated country (including Iran) and you travel to a country other than the United States, Greenland or Saint-Pierre et Miquelon, you will need a multi-entry visa to re-enter Canada. If your temporary resident visa has expired or if your visa is only valid for a single entry, you must re-apply for a temporary resident visa at a Canadian visa office outside Canada before you can re-enter Canada.

What should I know about schools and universities in Canada?

Canada is the preferred country for many foreign students looking for an international experience. Schools and universities in Canada are highly competent and much less expensive than many American schools. Also, foreign students who complete an educational credential in Canada may be eligible to apply under many different programs to obtain Canada permanent residency. Below you will find a description of the different types of educational institutions including universities in Canada.

Elementary & High Schools (Primary & Secondary):

Education in Canada is regulated at the provincial level, which means there are different admissions requirements for each school, depending on where it is located. Dependent children of foreign workers or foreign students are often granted Canada study permits so their children may attend elementary and high school in Canada.

Colleges & Universities in Canada:

After high school, there are plenty of post-secondary options for students in Canada. There are a total of 83 universities in Canada, and many colleges. Six of Canada's universities are located in Montreal, Quebec, which is the city with the highest concentration of universities. Each university or college has their own entrance requirements, including varying levels of English or French proficiency.

Private Institutions & Vocational Programs/Schools:

Canada has a lot of private educational institutions that offer programs in a wide array of fields of study. There are different academic requirements for admission depending on the school, as each institution is free to establish their own entrance requirements and fees. It is important to verify that the school is officially recognized in the province where it is located.

Language Training Schools:

Canada has two official languages and most of the educational institutions are specialized in teaching English & French to foreign students. Most language schools in Canada are not monitored by a provincial government body, so ensure the school you are applying to or studying is certified or authorized by the province. If you are interested in pursuing a language-training program, you can consult various public institutions or universities in Canada.

Quick Query



Phone No:*

Select the level of Program:*